Your Laughter

author's note: this was inspired by a Neruda poem that fits my fave couple oh so perfectly....

---------------------------------------------------------

His legs have grown numb from the lack of movement and the weight that he was carrying on his lap. It was not that heavy, but when one has not moved for about an hour, pins and needles begin to develop, and the discomfort starts to kick in. Still, he does not complain. Instead, he rests his back on the rattan beach chair and stares at the wide blue stretch of the Pacific Ocean. It was one of those rare chances to be alone and just enjoy the momentary silence he does not get to experience when he is at work back in Korea or in Japan or in China or wherever. It is the price he has to pay for choosing this so-called profession. Lately, things have been turbulent for him, his career and the company who manages him, but being here now, makes him thankful. Perhaps, the scandal--his scandal, has done him some good, like the well deserved vacation he has been pining on.

It was a long ride from Incheon Airport to this place, but seeing the white sands and blue sea and the peace and quiet, it was worth it. How Hyejung discovered this place was a mystery she vowed never to reveal, and Hyunjoong was just perfectly happy to be here. And being here with her and not being recognized by anyone was like winning the lottery. If Hyejung was not too sleepy, she would have gloated the very minute they waited for the ferry to take them to the island, and Hyunjoong would have sulked for the rest of the day and maybe all week long.

Hyejung started to wake up and stirred a bit. She lifted her head from the pillow on Hyunjoong's lap, and rubbed her eyes. It was definitely a pleasant sight for Hyunjoong to see his lady love in that state. She was definitely a beauty when she wore make up and when she's all glammed up, but she is more than gorgeous now that she's all natural. She does not need make up anyway to become beautiful, which was something he really loved about her.

“What time is it?”, she asked Hyunjoong in between yawns stretching her limbs in front of him.

“Maybe, it's around 4 or 5 in the afternoon...”, he answered, stretching his aching legs.

“Omo, it's that late? I've slept for 2 hours, you should have woken me up”, Hyejung muttered.

“But you were sleeping like an angel, honey, minus your snoring and when you started talking in your sleep”, Hyunjoong laughed.

Hyejung's cheeks started to become red, “I so do not snore and I definitely do not talk in my sleep”, she tried to hide her embarrassment and punched Hyunjoong's arm lightly.

“You know, it's a good thing we are the only ones here right now, otherwise people would be wondering if you were some crazy Korean woman talking and laughing in your sleep like that”, Hyunjoong teased her. He loved doing that. He always find her amazingly cute when she is embarrassed by his teasings. He laughed when she started to pout.

Hyejung stuck her tongue out at Hyunjoong, then joined his outburst. That was one thing he found amazing about her, it was easy to make her laugh. He loved that very sound. Her laughter was like a resonating sound that soothes his tired nerves, one that could change moods or pacify an intense warring atmosphere.

When finally their childlike laughter died down, Hyejung adjusted the straps of her skimpy swim wear. Hyunjoong smirks at her. He never liked her outfit choices. Sure, she had a body of a Sports Illustrated model, but he was the conservative type when it comes to women's clothes. She notices his smirk, but ignores him.

“I'm going inside the hut to get some snacks, want some?”, she stood up and shook the sand away from her legs.

“Yeah, and while you're at it, please get some towel or robe or one of my shirts to cover yourself”, now, it was his turn to pout.

Hyejung smiled, “Omo, may I remind you that we are at the beach Ahjussi, and if you have not noticed yet, we are the only guests here...”

Hyunjoong furrowed his brows. Hyejung stooped low enough to brush her lips on his forehead. She knew his rules should be followed.

“Fine Ahjussi! I'll give in because that's how much I love you”, then gave him a wide grin, “I'll just wear the cover-up Choongjae gave me, you know, the one with the wholes in the wrong places...”, she continued teasing him. She could not contain her laughter as she walked over to the hut they rented.

There it was again, her laughter. It seemed to have some magic powers. When he hears her laughter, it seems like all his worries dissipate and he forgets the problems he has to deal with when their rendezvous ends.

“You have a charming wife”, an old Korean man suddenly appears from behind and sits beside him.

“She is not my wife---yet..”, he answers after giving the man a slight bow.

“She's a rare crystal you know. If I were you, I would do something now and never let her go”, he looks at Hyunjoong then stared at the wide sea.

Hyunjoong remembered something he has been carrying around for the past months. He reaches into his pocket and touched the cool metal and let his fingers slide through the round form. He smiles and remembers the time when he indirectly talked about marrying her. Hyejung laughed nervously, looked into his eyes and gave her the usual obvious reasons. At that time, he thought she was not ready for the thing called marriage yet.

“I do not think she's ready yet.”, he simply answered.

“The age difference? The fans? Your careers? But the real question is, are you ready to live without her, young man?”, the old man asked, “You know, my wife is 10 years older than me. I kept on hesitating to ask her seriously because of that fact, but when I finally gathered the strength to ask her, I knew it was something I should have done a long long time ago because I knew I could not live without her nor love anyone else as much as I love her. The only thing that really matters is if your love for each other is real.”

Hyunjoong fell silent as if contemplating on his words.

“What is it with age anyway?”, the old man continued, “You can drive at 16, go to war at 18,
you can drink at 21, and retire at 65. So, how old do you have to be before your love is real?"

He smiled at the old man's wisdom.

“I know she's very precious to you, son. I can see that from the way you look at her. I also know how much she loves you, and how much you make her happy. I can hear that from her laughter.”, he added.

This time Hyejung was in full view from where Hyunjoong sat. She was carrying a toddler in her arms while 2 more followed her as they approached. She happily played with the kids and her laughter was ringing in the small peaceful island.

“Ah, yes. Her laughter.”, Hyunjoong said,

“It's like a remedy to every ache and pain, an antidote to life's poisons”, the old man added.

“I think, it's the one thing I could not live without--her laughter”, Hyunjoong mindlessly mentions.

“Hmmm, I thought so, too. Here” the man gives Hyunjoong a piece of paper.

Hyunjoong quietly read the words written on the paper.

The old man gets up from where he sat when he saw Hyejung and the kids, “Kids, stop bothering our guests”, he called out.

“Oh, they're not bothering me, sir.”, Hyejung bowed at the old man after putting down the little girl she was carrying. “Are they your grandkids?”, she asked.

“Yes, we're also here for a vacation”, the chubby little boy answered for his grandfather.

“Yes, this is grandma's favorite island in all of Asia.”, the other child added.

Hyejung smiled.

“We shouldn't be bothering you, kids”, the old man said with a wink and left together with his grandkids.

When they were faraway already, Hyejung started teasing him, “Hyunjoong-ah, you're not afraid of elders anymore?”.

“I still am. He just said some things that were true and right. It got me thinking.”, he said in a serious tone.

“Ah, really? What were you talking about?”, she timidly asked.

“About him, and me, and his wife, and you”, there was a long pause, “and your laughter..”

“Was I too loud again?”, she panicked. The place was too nice and ideal, she was worried they would get evicted for being too noisy.

Hyunjoong laughed. “It's not that.”

He opened the piece of paper again and handed it to her, “Here, this explains everything... this is how he feels...this is how I feel------for you”

Take bread away from me, if you wish, take air away, but do not take from me your laughter.

Do not take away the rose, the lance flower that you pluck, the water that suddenly
bursts forth in joy, the sudden wave of silver born in you.

My struggle is harsh and I come back with eyes tired at times from having seen
the unchanging earth,but when your laughter enters it rises to the sky seeking me
and it opens for me all the doors of life.

My love, in the darkest hour your laughter opens, and if suddenly you see my blood staining the stones of the street,laugh, because your laughter will be for my hands
like a fresh sword.

Next to the sea in the autumn, your laughter must raise its foamy cascade,
and in the spring, love, I want your laughter like the flower I was waiting for,
the blue flower, the rose of my echoing country.

Laugh at the night, at the day, at the moon, laugh at the twisted
streets of the island, laugh at this clumsy boy who loves you, but when I open
my eyes and close them, when my steps go, when my steps return, deny me bread, air,
light, spring, but never your laughter for I would die.


Hyejung stared at the paper, teary eyed.

“And the ahjussi and I think, we should get married now”, Hyunjoong reached inside his pocket and placed the princess cut diamond white gold ring on top of the crumpled piece of paper that was still on Hyejung's trembling hands.

Hyunjoong moved in front of her, and went down on one knee. He was struggling to remember something, then he spoke “My struggle is harsh and I come back with eyes tired at times from having seen the unchanging earth, but when your laughter enters it rises to the sky seeking me and it opens for me all the doors of life.”, he gave her a shy smile.

“Your laughter gives me life, and I would do everything to always make you smile and happy so I can hear your laughter. Please Hwangbo Hyejung, let me live a happy life with you. Marry me and always let me hear your laughter.”

Hyejung's tears welled on her cheeks, but she could not stop the laughter that was bubbling up inside her and how this man can make her the happiest woman on earth. She started to laugh, and took the ring carefully placing it on her finger. She held him in a tight embrace and whispered to his ears the words that he had been waiting for, “Yes Kim Hyunjoong, I will marry you and share every waking moment and laughter with you.”

No comments: