Vicious Fate

author's note: this a meteor garden inspired two part fic. the idea (and request)was from a proboards' acquaintance.

all i can say is that: it is dramatic...
--------------------------------------------------------

Hyunjoong.

Seoul's busy streets had been an unfamiliar sight for you. It's been a year and almost two months since you came back. You've been burying yourself with work abroad again. People admired your hard work and perseverance, but what they do not know is that all this time you have been trying hard to forget the pain and memories someone once brought you. As you hopped inside you black old school sedan, a gift you bought yourself from a well known auto shop in North America, you stared in delight at the familiar buildings and streets.

“It has not changed much...”, you thought.

You rev up the engine and start cruising towards the address your manager gave you before you boarded the plane. You pass by the old dance studio, you and the boys used to practice in until the wee hours of the night which was right beside your old dormitory. Now, each of you has your own place, unless there were recordings, you all stay in a posh hotel in town. There was also the old chicken and soju place you used to frequent with Jaejoong and Seunghyun during your early idol days wearing different kinds of disguise from masks to big sunglasses to Disney character costumes. You smile like a child remembering how fun it was.

You rolled on towards the busier spots where billboards were spread on every corner and big wide tarpaulins were pasted on sides of almost all buildings.

You grin at the first one you saw. It was of Lee Hyori endorsing a perfume. She was still pretty. The next ones were a mix of models and celebrities endorsing various products from clothes to cell phones to gadgets. You turn to an unfamiliar street. Thank God for GPS, you would have been lost on this particular street. You make another turn at the corner leading you to an express way. Just when you were about to drive to your exit, you caught a glimpse of a face on the digital billboard.

She was in a yellow cotton dress dancing without a care and singing with the children surrounding her. She moved around in her bare feet. Although the street was busy and noisy, you could hear her hearty laughter ringing in your ears. The familiar sound was like home to you, but you whisk away the thought before reality hits you hard and knocks you down.

You finally reached your destination. It was a low key seaside resort. Before you even reach the lobby, someone approached you with a wide smile. Her skin was rich caramel, her hair wavy yet black as night. She could have passed as a South East Asian. You smile back at her. For a moment you almost wanted to hit yourself, “How could you not identify your girlfriend?”, you muttered to yourself.

“Hello!”, she greeted you in her high pitched voice, “How was your trip?” she asks then takes your hand.

You walk beside her, “It was fine. Seoul has not changed much”, you tell her.

She just smiled back at you, leading you to a table at the cafe. “Appa said you should rest first before we go out for the rehearsal dinner”

You nodded, then gave her a faint grin.

“I have to go back to take care things for the ceremony”, she announced after adding some cream and sugar to your coffee, “You'll be alright alone for awhile, right?”

You nodded after taking a sip or two at the hot beverage.

It was almost sunset when you decided to stroll around the beach. You conveniently chose a shady spot next to a beach umbrella. Just when you were about to doze off, there was that familiar laughter ringing in your ears again. You opened your eyes and frantically searched the perimeter. The only people there were a few resort employees, but to your far right were some children running around and laughing as a slender woman chased after them.

“You better run before I catch you!!!” she shouted after them in that raspy voice.

You knew it was her. It was Hwangbo Hyejung. “She has not aged one bit”, you thought. Even in her skimpy shorts and baggy shirt, she still looked awesome without even trying, like some off duty Baywatch babe. It was like those moving images on the billboard, except this time she was not wearing a dress and she was here for real.

You started breathing heavily. You did not expect to meet her here. Although, it seemed like things ended a year and almost two months ago, the pain in your chest seemed raw and alive again.

~~~~
It ended on the beach, too.

He just got out from the hospital after a car accident.

He thought he was going to go crazy when they told him she disappeared, but Kyujung found out she was somewhere in the province trying to hide in a friend's beach rest house.

There was an awkward silence before Hyunjoong decided to speak up.

“When I woke up from the hospital, I saw you sleeping by my bed. I was so happy. I reached my hands to wake you up, but it was not you in front of me. I did not know what to do when I could not see you there, but I was always thinking of you, your smile, the way you cry, the way your laughter rings in my ears, even when you are mad at me. I know for sure, it was clear to me how much I love you. I asked myself, should I hide my feelings or be honest about how I really felt? I did not know what to do. I do not know what to do now. Only one person can give me an answer. That's why I am here Hyejung, has our story really ended?

Hwangbo's tears fell like a waterfall. “No, no... but what can I do? We have been cursed from the very start. Maybe our destiny is to live our lives apart. Maybe we won't hurt so much anymore.”

Hyunjoong was not ready to give up, “But why did destiny make us meet? Why did our paths have to cross?”


Hwangbo stared at the ground, then she looked at the dark skies. “Our love began with a promise and a star. Perhaps our fate lies in the hands of the stars. Do you remember saying that you are my falling star?”


She fixed her gaze at the wide skies,


“Look at the sky, Hyunjoong. There's not a single star.”

“Is this our sign?”, she continued, “I thought about our story.... we tried...we struggled, but even the skies are telling us now, there is nothing left for us....Will you grant me one wish? Will you let me go?”


Hwangbo turned around hoping he could not see her face right now.

Hyunjoong quickly grabbed her hands before she moves further. “Hyejung, have you ever realized, you never told me, not even once, that you loved me? I was willing to give you the stars, you know. Grant your every wish to make you happy. But in the end, I could not keep my promises. I am so silly. I asked myself, what can I give you?”

Hyunjoong reached inside his pocket, “........................................this is the only thing I can give you...do you remember, this changed our lives forever? “

Hyunjoong left immediately without looking back.


~~~~
A voice came out of nowhere, and cut in your train of thoughts.

“Hyunjoongsshi, I've been looking for you”, the woman behind her called out.

No comments: